Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Drostdy Gate

The Drostdy Gate forms the main walk in entrance to Rhodes University from the High Street of Grahamstown.  Originally built in 1841, it was the entrance to the military establishment which was to be on the site of the then unoccupied and unused Drostdy House grounds. 

Framed in the Drostdy Gate's arch is the clock tower of the main administration block of the university which was based on a design by Sir Herbert Baker and Francis Kendall.  The building incorporates the site of the old Drostdy which it replaced in 1910.

No comments:

Post a Comment