Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Karoo roads

The Karoo, meaning Place of Thirst in the Khoi San language, is the area of the Eastern and Western Cape between the coast and the Free State province. It is mainly a farming area with little, sometimes forgotten, towns dotting the landscape. The Karoo has a different kind of beauty to it and is often described as Big sky country for the fact that there isn't much out there that can obscure the sky. At night there is just about no light pollution so the stars are awesome. The area is similar to the Australian Outback, just not quite a desert.


Unless you whizz through the Karoo on the N1 between Cape Town and Johannesburg you are likely to find roads that are much less travelled. Often you can see down a road for miles and there won't be any other cars on it. It kinda feels like a road through nowhere where nothing grows about this high, but that's far from the truth. It has a awesomeness of its own which not everybody appreciates.

All along the way there are many farm gates with little dirt roads leading to farms and fields. Most of the time they are nothing more than a two wheel track. The platteland (rural countryside) truly has its own beauty. (Or have I said that before?)

10 comments:

  1. I really like the second picture....love the shapes and textures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You captured what I tried to do through the windscreen of the moving car when we travelled through the Karoo three weeks ago. You were obviously in control of the car and stopped when needed. My hubby would not have stopped for my photo opportunities!! I put my attempts in Facebook -(some are not too bad!) I love the Karoo and all it's beauty. We stopped over on a previous trip at an olive farm - very very nice! Should do a blog about it !?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Firefly.
    I always like to follow your blog, it´s a photographic journey that opens new horizons, thank´s for sharing this moments.
    Have a nice day, see you soon.

    José Filipe 7-1-2009

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both shots are outstanding, I especially love the feel of the first one. Caught my eye immediately.

    Cheers and Happy New Year!
    Regina In Pictures

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its a beautiful place to photography...such a different beauty for sure...
    thanks for sharing your drive with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right when you say the Platteland has it's own beauty - it really does! It's colourful and rustic and just the best. I love your second photograph - wonder where it leads too ... ... ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Karoo definitly holds a special place in my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omigosh, that looks wonderful. I love driving along roads like that. I much prefer wide open spaces, and wondering what is just beyond the horizon. That sky must look spectacular at night.

    I really enjoy your journeys through South Africa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh that bottom photo makes me want to climb in my car RIGHT NOW and hit the road!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have just managaed to make me and hubby here in London sooooo homesick! :)

    ReplyDelete