Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Brown-hooded Kingfisher



On a game drive at Pumba Game Reserve near Port Elizabeth our ranger pointed out a Brown-hooded Kingfisher sitting in a tree next to the game drive vehicle.  The next thing he said kinda got our attention.  He asked us to look around and see if we could see any body of water.  There was none.  The Brown-hooded Kingfisher doesn't necessarily feed on fish but also on insects such as butterflies, bees, wasps, locusts and ants. These invertebrates are usually hawked aerially, killed and then eaten.  This means that it doesn't have to live near water like all his other Kingfisher cousins. 

7 comments:

  1. Great shot, they are so pretty. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog today. I, too, am a photographer, but I don't live anywhere near as exotic as you! I'm lovin' your photos and can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't believe I have seen a brown hooded Kingfisher before. He really is a beautiful speciman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 스포츠토토티비 Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing this
    write-up and also the rest of the site is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 안전놀이터 This information awesome guide for us.Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 안전카지노사이트 This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives in-depth information. Thanks for this nice article

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gaming enthusiast and contributor at Oyun indir.io .a website covering PC games, gaming content, guides, and the latest game releases. Explore more at
    Oyun indir.io

    ReplyDelete