Somerset East's historic Dutch Reformed Church stand on the main drag through town at the intersection with Beaufort Road. After the village of Somerset (with the East only being added 30 years later) was established, a need started to arise for a church. The corner stone of the church was laid in 1830 and it was completed in 1833. The church in it's current form is the result of extensions made in 1870 with only a few of the original walls still remaining. In front of the church stands a statue to Jan Hendrik Hofmeyr who was the dominee (reverend) of the church for over 40 years.