Thursday, July 14, 2011

3...2...1... BUNGY!!!

I decided to post something slightly different for this week's
  
post.  Rather than looking up, we are looking down.

The 451m long Bloukrans River Bridge in the Tsitsikamma spans the gorge of the Bloukrans River on the boundary between the Eastern Cape and the Western Cape.  Completed in 1984, the bridge forms part of the N2 highway between Port Elizabeth and Cape Town and is 216m high making it the highest single span arch bridge in the world.  But all of that is probably pretty insignificant to any regular person out there.  That's to say people really wouldn't have given much notice to the bridge if it wasn't also the highest commercial bridge bungy jumping site in the world.


Yes, you heard me right.  People pay good money to fling themselves off the bridge with nothing but an elastic cord tied to their ankles.  Ok, so its a bit more complicated than that, but I'm not going to go into the whole science of bungy jumping.  For those who want to know more I have one word... Google.

Look carefully and you will see the bungy cord hanging down below the bridge with something at the end.  It kinda gives you a better perspective on high it actually is.  A jumper accelerates from 0 to 100km per hour in 2 seconds and with a recoil of 140m it means that you actually get “two jumps” of over 100m.


Looking closer you will notice that the something is somebody who probably by now have a massive post bungy grin on his face.  Did I do it? Hell no!

19 comments:

  1. Me thinks CCRAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZYYY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots! But I would not like to do it. I will die before :). If you like, join us on PicStory - Outdoor this week. :) Would be something different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I could even watch someone bungy jump let alone do it myself. But the photos are great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not for me! But I love the pic of the BRIDGE, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes!!!!That's downright scary!! Not my cup of tea.

    Fantastic photos....those are some serious thrill seekers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...traigo
    sangre
    de
    la
    tarde
    herida
    en
    la
    mano
    y
    una
    vela
    de
    mi
    corazón
    para
    invitarte
    y
    darte
    este
    alma
    que
    viene
    para
    compartir
    contigo
    tu
    bello
    blog
    con
    un
    ramillete
    de
    oro
    y
    claveles
    dentro...


    desde mis
    HORAS ROTAS
    Y AULA DE PAZ


    COMPARTIENDO ILUSION
    THE FIRELY PHOTO

    CON saludos de la luna al
    reflejarse en el mar de la
    poesía...




    ESPERO SEAN DE VUESTRO AGRADO EL POST POETIZADO DE STAR WARS, CARROS DE FUEGO, MEMORIAS DE AFRICA , CHAPLIN MONOCULO NOMBRE DE LA ROSA, ALBATROS GLADIATOR, ACEBO CUMBRES BORRASCOSAS, ENEMIGO A LAS PUERTAS, CACHORRO, FANTASMA DE LA OPERA, BLADE RUUNER ,CHOCOLATE Y CREPUSCULO 1 Y2.

    José
    Ramón...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...that´s crazy and nice to see nut nothing for me ;O))!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I quite like bridges, and this one is impressive when you consider the construction?.... good pics to, thanks for your views!....:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would really like this posting but I can't look closely because the photos do not enlarge at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, mother of pearl! I wouldn't do that for sure...looking at it makes me wanna pee...lol!

    beautiful shots though...thanks for the email!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have friends that would jump at the chance to do this. Me? I'd be the one taking photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool shots. That's an amazing bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nope, never had a desire to bungee jump, being snapped at the end of a rubber band doesn't seem smart. But, I'd happily jump out of an airplane with a parachute. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm still trying to psych myself to do the shorter ones here in my country lolz or until I've saved enough airfare to visit Cebu but wow, that's a long way dooown.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well I wrote that one of the things to do is bungy jumping but when I see the bridge seems that I change my mind hahahaha. I think I would settle taking pictures. Happy Friday!

    SWF

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, you got me so thrilled there. Amazing bridge and well, i still think that bungy thing is crazy.

    Anyway, here's visiting late for SWF. Hope to see you around.

    ReplyDelete