Friday, February 4, 2011

Burgersdorp churches

When I drive into a small town I've never been to, the first thing I always do is scan the horizon to see where the local church is.  Just about every small town has a beautiful historic church.  The first one is the Dutch Reformed Church (completed in 1849), but I'm not too sure right now about the second one. It could be the Christ Church which was built in 1861.

The congregation of Burgersdorp was founded in 1846. The name 'Burgers' was to honour the farmers(burgers) who brought Christianity to this area.  In 1847, 75 stands were sold by public auction and the first nine streets, 2 squares and an area for the church were demarcated by plough and oxen.




5 comments:

  1. It is amazing how modern these churches look compared with the ones in Europe. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the clocks!! wonder why a clock was ever put on a steeple? =) Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the stonework on the first church. Hard to believe they were built less than two decades apart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful buildings, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pics. I was born in Burgersdorp, but my family moved when I was little, and I've never been back. I'm enjoying learning more about the town and its history. When I eventually do that big trip up the 'berg (which I'm now feeling so inspired to plan - maybe 2012?) I think I'll need to detour to see my birthplace.

    ReplyDelete