Thursday, January 20, 2011

When it rains in the mountains...


I have mentioned in other posts that we had a lot of rain during our stay in the Drakensberg.  Our first day was a nice sunny one on which we did the Lookout Rock / Tiger Falls trail.  At the top of the trail I took a photo of the moon just above the mountain.  I didn't notice that the moon was "pouring out".  The old people used to say if the moon is "pouring out" (upside down) then its going to rain.

And rain it did... again... and again... buckets full... truck loads full... cats and dogs...

Little streams...

... became torrential rivers...

... and little gentle waterfalls...

... became big angry waterfalls

10 comments:

  1. Good heavens! I have never heard that about the moon before, interesting! How's that water?? I bet it was cold! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! These are awesome comparison shots. You really did get drenched. Ah, but that's what keeps the Bergs so green. The spilling moon shot is superb. But then so are the others. I'm so loving this series Jonker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photographs! I especially like the moon shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My MIL always said that about the moon - I guess she was right! Impressive photo!!

    Wow - look at all that water - amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All these photo's are brilliant, but the first one is above amazing and so creative...
    As my CT family would say * Its so LANK * giggle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning shots, Jonker. Especially the moon photo. I've always known that one: if the moon is tipping, it's going to rain. I found this blog of yours through a comment from Gaelyn my d.i.l.'s blog. If you 'd like to see this blog - a lot about the Berg, where they live, please do pop in here http://vhmi.blogspot.com/2011/01: /little-people-lifestyles-pretty-gardens.html. Have a great day. (We're off to live in East Africa for a while, so I'll be blogging from there!) Greetings, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the moon shot! Perfect framing.....the stars were aligned, so to speak. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely shots. lots of rain everywhere except Cape Town, we are just blowing the weather up country I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous pics! I remember the Cascades... such fun for a kid. Hope yours had a chance to paddle and slip and slide on the slippery rocks, before the water levels rose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, i last remember climbing the cascades when i was about 12... incredible trail...

    ReplyDelete