Thursday, November 11, 2010

Karoo roads

Driving through the Karoo should be an adventure, not a rush.  It has so many interesting nooks and crannies to explore, but to get there one has to travel many interesting roads and paths. Travelling is as much about the journey as it is about the destination.

 Travelling through the Karoo one firstly encounters tar roads. On these we depart the big towns and cities, but from them, somewhere along the way, you have to turn off onto ...

 ... a dirt road.  It is along these dirt roads that a lot of the interesting sights and sounds reveal themselves, and even then you may still need to turn off them... 

to open a gate and proceed along a two wheel track that will lead you to even more interesting destination.  I think that is deep enough for today. I drive a Chev Aveo, so not far beyond that gate I will have to turn around or I may never see that tar road again.

5 comments:

  1. Life really is about the journey. I love backroading, and the Little Karoo had many opportunities I didn't have time for, or the right car. I love my pickup truck. Don't get stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling. I drive a Honda Fit, and it only goes so far off a dirt road. I agree with you, that some of the best destinations are off the paved road and away from the rush & bustle of the cities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hubby is getting the new 'baby' Audi 4x4 so we will be able to try those that pass through the gates and beyond !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right Jonker, these little side roads are the most interesting of all and one does not always know where they will lead which makes them more of an adventure.

    I was going to comment earlier but the internet was so busy, it was struggling to open you page. I guess all the people are browsing around instead of working today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that bottom photo. It's fantastic....and really moves me.

    ReplyDelete