Monday, November 22, 2010

Bonsai Show

A couple of weekends ago the Eastern Cape Bonsai Society (EPBS) had their annual Bonsai Show at the Walmer Town Hall in Port Elizabeth.  The EPBS was founded in 1969 and is having their 41st Anniversary this year.  For a couple of years now I have been threatening to get myself a bonsai tree and take it up as a hobby.  This year I will do it.  I have a small Spekboom tree in a pot and have decided to move it into a proper bonsai pot and start training it.  Here follows a couple of the pictures I took at the show.

 
Bonsai on display at the Eastern Province Bonsai Society's annual Bonsai Show


I love that some people create a scene around their tree and doesn't just have a tree in a pot.

My favorite bonsai are those that grow over a rock.  It takes a lot of time and effort to get it to this point, but its well worth it in the end.

 Another one of my favorites. Bonsai Hibiscus in bloom.
 
The view through a bonsai forest

7 comments:

  1. Fascinating aren't they? Love your photo through the forest!! I had one but it died before I could cultivate and train it and never got another.
    Referring to your comment on the black agapanthus - sounds interesting!! There are lots of different varieties now - I need to get some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AS usual a great bunch of pics to look at. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bonsai forest. Hope you do get your project going. The roots over the rocks is very cool and I like the extra little scenes too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's gotta take alot more time and & patience than I'd be willing to dedicate to it. Best wishes with your bonsai!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice photographs! I tried to grow a bonsai tree once, but because of my lack of a green thumb, it didn't make it through the winter. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking beautiful! This is the best way to knowing about bonsai trees. I like this information. thanks a lot for providing this....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Son muy hermosos los bonsai de las imágenes, considero que es un arte, es un sentimiento que permite colocarnos en armonía con la naturaleza.


    Saludos,


    Postes de madera

    ReplyDelete