Saturday, January 31, 2009
Friday, January 30, 2009
Thursday, January 29, 2009
For more awesome Skywatch photos from bloggers all over the world, why not make your way over here and have a peek.
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
PS - Why did I say throw and not blow. Elephants suck water into their trunks to put in their mouths to drink. It then gets thrown and not blown into their mouths as it is impossible for someone or something to blow and swallow at the same time.
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Monday, January 26, 2009
Sunday, January 25, 2009
Saturday, January 24, 2009
- The fire gets lit and when there are sufficient coals, the black three leg cast iron pot gets put on it.
- Put in some olive oil. Just a bit. Not too much. Just enough. (Get the idea?)
- We decided on a chicken potjie and had about 4 drumsticks, 4 wings and 4 pieces of white meat. Put in the pieces and just do a quick fry on both sides of each so that it gets a bit of colour, then take out.
- Put in one onion (sliced into rings) and fry till light brown
- Put chicken on top of onions
- Add baby potatoes, slices carrots, pieces of butternut, mushrooms and peas (or any other vegetables your heart desires)
- Then I add my concoction, I mean sauce (can somebody explain to me how to do that typing thing with the line through?) It consist of a packet of spare rib marinade, some chutney, tomato sauce, tin of tomato puree, salt, pepper and water - can't remember what else we had, but at home I'll also add worcester sauce, sweet chili or whatever else you have in stock.
- Don't add more water. It makes it's own water. In this case the Damselfly added more water and the sauce didn't get thick enough.
- Now leave it to do its thing for two hours or so. Important: DON'T BOTHER THE POT SO DON'T STIR IT! UNDERSTAND? Trust me (and thousands before me) it won't burn and it will all be cooked.
- Towards the end you may want to take out some of the sauce to add corn flour to it to get the sauce thick. Don't forget to pour it back in after mixing the flour in.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
For more amazing Skywatch pictures from all over the world, why not go and check it out here.
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Here he is in his school uniform at school.
The other big news of the day is that I got my first picture published. Ok, so I didn't get paid for it. It was something we did as friends and my wife called up the daily newspaper, The Herald, to see if they would publish the pic and the little piece I wrote along with it. So you are wondering what it is all about. When we went for ante-natal classes, the lady presenting it encouraged the moms to form a Baby Club for everybody to get together every now and then for tea (and many birthday parties very close to each other) to share experiences, seek each other's advice and just to make new friends. The Baby Club started out with 14 moms (and some dads) and kids. Over the years some have moved away while others have faded. Now we have 7 families left and we decided to get them together for a photo shoot in their school clothes. The seven are going to six different schools, so it was quite cute to see them in their uniforms.
This is the original photo.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Monday, January 19, 2009
There are also lights in the shape of animals and coloured lights back lighting the vegetation. All and all it is a spot well worth visiting during the summer season when there are lots of other families strolling through. Some people have safety concerns about the valley, but we found that there were lots of people strolling through on the Saturday night we went and adequate security personnel patrolling. Next December I'm sure we will be making our yearly journey to Happy Valley again and the kids will get all excited all over again. I can't wait... and that's not a sarcastic statement.
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Saturday, January 17, 2009
Friday, January 16, 2009
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
There was some joy in the wind though. A couple of kite surfers were getting ready to hit the water and you could see that the conditions were ideal for them.
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Monday, January 12, 2009
Sunday, January 11, 2009
My favorite pic of my time spent at the wreck was this one.
Saturday, January 10, 2009
The same happened with this tennis ball. I was still crawling around on all fours and swoozh, it was gone. The tennis ball had me wondering though. Where did it come from. Was it some dog's toy that got thrown too far into the waves for him to fetch and got washed up later? Was it one of the balls that Roger Federer and Rafael Nadel hit off the building in Dubai in that TV ad? Or did it belong to a couple of bored fishermen on a fishing boat that where playing catch? Who knows? But its lying in my garage now. LOL.
Both these photos were taken during our week spent in Cannon Rocks.