Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Campanile

Its been a while since I've climbed to the top of the Campanile. Last weekends I had to keep Chaos Boy busy for the morning while the girls went shopping and we decided to go and climb to the top of the tower.
The Campanile was built and completed in 1923 in commemoration of the centenary of the arrival of the British Settlers in 1820. The site on which it stands used to be the landing beach where the settlers were offloaded before their long journey to the Grahamstown district.

The tower is 51.8 meters high and has 204 steps to the top. It also has a carillon of 23 bells.


At the top of the tower there are windows looking out to each of the four directions. East (above) you look across the Port Elizabeth Harbour which now separate the old landing beach from the ocean. South looks towards the beachfront while West looks across the freeway which separates the Campanile and harbour from the rest of the city. Looking North one can see the new Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium and the mountains beyond Uitenhage in the distance.

8 comments:

  1. Funny how I drove past this evening on my way to the sea and I pondered stopping to take a few pictures. The Campanile looked rather dull at 7.30pm - it could do with some decent lighting seeing it is an historical landmark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chaos Boy! Exactly what my 4 year old is growing into too! How old is yours? :-)

    Great shots!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool tower. Bit of a climb but fantastic view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow beautiful view! Im glad i can see the photos.. the stairs would of killed me! =0I

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the angle of the first shot and the deep blue of the sky, very nice indeed! And what a great way to spend the day with your son :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A spiral staircase even! Those are such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing view! I am flying into PE this afternoon - working in our PE office tomorrow and then tomorrow night I fly to Durban! I will try and bring some rain with me! LOL!

    ReplyDelete