Monday, September 7, 2009

King Protea

A post or two ago I posted a pic of a King Protea bud and a couple of people asked me what it will look like when in full bloom. This past Sunday we spent most of the day in Settlers Park (of which I will still post more pics) and I found a King Protea in full bloom. The King Protea is South Africa's national flower and is part of the Cape Floral Kingdom (Fynbos biome) which is a UNESCO World Heritage Natural Site. A nice big King Protea can be about the length of a standard ruler (30 centimetres) from side to side.

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely KING sized flower....love how the light makes the flower look velvety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's breathtaking. Looks like it should be floating on a peaceful lake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're huge! We have bowls of them at our reception this week and they are beautiful, although not my favourite!

    ReplyDelete