Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Blue Wildebeest

Today is the last post on our visit to Kragga Kamma Game Park on Sunday. I got a nice close up of a young blue wildebeest next to the road. There are two types of wildebeest. The Blue Wildebeest has a black tail and the Black Wildebeest has a white tail. The blue wildebeest is the common one of the two and is world famous for its huge migration in the Serengeti and Masai Mara game reserves in Tanzania and Kenya.

The wildebeest is also called the clowns of the veld because of their funny look. Legend has it that the wildebeest was put together from all the left over pieces when the animals were created. It has the face of a cow, the horns of a buffalo, the mane of a lion, the legs of an antelope and the tail of a horse.

5 comments:

  1. and yet beautiful in there own way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firefly, Glad to see nothing has changed and your photos are always a treat! Just a few minutes ago I posted my first photograph in weeks/months on my blog http://kc-photo-blog.blogspot.com/ Life really gets in the way of being productive sometimes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They certainly are interesting looking animals. Just think how we must look to them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOl Marka! well said ! Fire, another awesome picture ! Thank you. If I had animals like that out my back door maybe i wouldnt have to get wet so often ! =0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My word! Never heard that legend before, but by golly - I think it's true! Lovely photo's - like the close up - aren't they ugly? LOL!

    ReplyDelete