Thursday, February 26, 2009

Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium

South Africa will be hosting the 2010 FIFA Football (Soccer) World Cup. Port Elizabeth is one of ten host cities and will host 8 games, including a quarter final and the 3/4 playoff. As we don't have a world class stadium in Port Elizabeth, we are one of the cities building a new stadium. The 46 500 seater multi purpose stadium will be called the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium.

I was very fortunate the other day to be invited to go on a tour of the stadium and I was very impressed with what I saw. It will truly be something the city will be proud of when its completed.
The stadium roof will consist of 36 girders keeping it up. The day we were there, no 27 went up. The girder gets lifted by a giant crane from the outside. Once it is in place it gets attached to the previous one. The big crane then gets disconnected and a smaller crane truck inside the stadium keeps it in place till all the attachments are done.

These are two of the guys sitting on top of the girder busy attaching the two girders to each other.
On the other side of the stadium workers are starting to cover the girders with the membrane that forms the roof. To get to the top workers use a step pulley system to get up and they have to abseil back down. If the wind gusts over 55km/hour the workers have to get down from the top. While we were there the guys started to repel down.
For more amazing photographers pointing their cameras skyward, go and visit Skywatch.

21 comments:

  1. That is one fine, and big, stadium. It looks larger than anything I have seen.

    My Skywatch Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic looking stadium, great shots.

    Have a great weekend!
    Guy
    Regina In Pictures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stadium!Interesting to see.Anne was in CT and she saw the Greenpoint stadium and it is still in work.Still a lot of work to 2010!
    Have a nice weekend!

    Steffi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! Thanks for the explanation, too! Something else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's a major event; i'm sure the electricity in anticipation of the event is already all over the city. my husband would surely stay up watching the games.

    enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely shots...really interesting.. been hearing lots about, the stadium over here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great opportunity that was to see that being built. Super photos......

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great and different series for Sky Watch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazing - hopefully I'll get to see it sometime. I'm a homesick S African, living in the US. Was hoping to visit this year, but doesn't look likely at this point. I'm soothing myself with the audio books of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. A great listen, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a great structure to have. And nice skywatch from that open view of the stadium.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just great to see, and I have to show this pictures to my housband, the football idiot!! :-))

    Happy weekend to you from Anne in Norway :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is really impressive! I must say I saw pictures of the stadium in Durban the other day and that impressed me too. I really did not think we would be ready for this, but you know what? I think I might be pleasantly surprised! Lucky you to be able to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is very impressive, looks like the big stadiums we have here in Germany for the last World Soccer competition.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what Green Point looks like, the last time I was there was for the Robbie Williams SA tour...
    I'm a huge Robbie fan by the way...*giggle*

    ReplyDelete
  14. What unique shots - and very interesting. Great captures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very interesting post...nice color too...and some good sky views..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good heavens, what a huge project! It's amazing to me how these construction workers are able to put it all together. It is going to be a beautiful stadium! Great shots of the work in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey guys

    For more on 2010 and the preparations across the country, take a look at the picks and shovels blog at http://picksandshovels.blogspot.com/

    Cheers
    picks and shovels team

    ReplyDelete