Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Miniature Trains

On the first Sunday of each month the Port Elizabeth Model Locomotive Society brings out their trains to the delight of young and old.

I'm normally very stoked (excuse the expression) when I get to go on the little steam engine. It actually runs on real coal and water just like a real steam engine. It even blows off steam like his big brothers.
Each engine would tow about three little seater wagons and the trip takes you in a big figure eight. The cost is next to nothing. About R2.50 per ride. Calculate that when the US Dollar is about R10 and the British Pound about R18.

As this photo shows, the ride is as popular with the "big" kids as it is with the little ones. I for one always get excited when the Damselfly suggests that we take the Rugrats for a visit to the trains. I wonder when we will go again.


3 comments:

  1. I know one big kid here who would give his right arm for a go on those trains ...lol. Does anybody bang their head in the tunnel, it looks as though there is'nt much headroom. Well this post has been around the family dinner table tonight and they get our votes " Top Shots"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those trains are gorgeous! Reminds me of when I was little (in the 50's) and my Dad was in Roundtable in Bulawayo (Rhodesia). When he did his 'President' stint, the Roundtable built a miniture train park in the city park - we used to go for 'free' rides (because of my Dad!) Thanks for the memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to be one of the big kids riding on one of the trains. Great photos I really like the one of them coming out of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete